29 Things Experienced Cruisers Think You Should Know Pt. 2
Today we continue our list of 29 things experienced cruisers think you should know. We have sourced our viewers and compiled this expert list of 29 cruise tips to share with you. Download our shore day bag checklist, and more cruise packing and planning checklists & videos by joining the CruiseTipsTV Academy at https://academy.cruisetipstv.com
You can see the complete experienced cruiser list below.
Experienced Cruisers Think You Should Know
- Complete your cruise check in process properly and thoroughly. Print everything off and keep it in your carry on luggage.
- Travel with a passport
- Don’t overpack
- Invest in cruise insurance – right now, we’re hearing that people are having to cancel and cruise line policies are changing. Without insurance, you can lose a lot. Here’re some places to start: Travel Guard Cruise Insurance & Allianz Travel Cruise Insurance
- Emily says: Don’t judge cruising based off your first cruise. Every cruise, every cruise line is different. With that said, other experts said it’s key to take the time to find the right cruise line for you. This is where using a good travel agent comes in. Glutenfree horizons says “there’s a cruise line for everyone. If you found your first one wasn’t for you, there’s a better option out there”.
- Artrenity says: If something goes wrong, allow the staff the opportunity to fix it. Like Danielle said “things WILL go wrong, but they will get better”.
- Listen to the announcements – this tip is from a cruise director!
- Pack the proper toiletries and medications: Shampoo and conditioner are not always provided. Also, sunscreen, medications. Also, prepare for motion sickness, even though you may not need it!! Pain reliever, cold medicine, tummy medications, bandages, allergy meds, neosporin.
- Plan & research but don’t over-plan or overbook yourself- often, the best things are the ones you didn’t plan.
- Paw Print Cruises says to carve out an ENTIRE day to do nothing.
- Brenda shared that her fatal flaw is over planning, then getting upset when things don’t go her way.
- Patirica said it’s often the unexpected opportunities that make the best memories. Stay positive and enjoy the little things.
- Cheryl M says “Don’t overplan and enjoy every moment including those just at sea or with family and friends”.
- Try different types of food than you normally would at home:
- Unpack the first day/evening (closet hangers, Elizabeth’s tip)
- Book an early dinner time if you want to enjoy activities, entertainment and shows in the evening.
- Book specialty dining & shore excursions before you board the ship, if your heart is set on a particular dining time or activity.
- Be a flexible traveler. You know the saying “go with the flow”. This is particularly important for cruise passengers, as there can be weather issues, port delays, port changes
- Take wine & soda onboard- check the policy and make SURE it’s in your carry on luggage. LIke Danesha says “pack patience and WINE!”
- Price out the drink package
- The walls are metal- pack magnets or buy onboard.
- Kristen says “join in the games but don’t take them too seriously”.
- The main dining room isn’t just for dinner
- Bring cash for tipping porters taxi drivers, bus drivers, extra for the crew, excursion providers. Day 1 tip, keep small bills in your pockets, not your purse or wallet.
- Watch vlogs – why? Ship layouts, cabin tours, port activities.
- Cheryl says “expect the unexpected”. Hippy dippy says “don’t be rigid with expectations”
- Give yourself time to unwind: Liz says: if you have sensory or anxiety issues, it may take a few days to find your peace.
- Watch your account balance. it’s very easy to spend, and mistakes DO happen.
- Embarkation day can be stressful. Expect it to be, and know that it’s normal.
- Use a travel agent! They can help you to re-price your cruise, choose a cruise line and choose the right insurance. Dchenkin says “it costs you nothing and saves you headaches”.
- Claudine cautions; The ship is huge! Pack comfortable broken in shoes. Shoes with good tread for pool decks.
- Formal night is usually optional. Kandace says “formal night is fun, but if it’s not your thing, that’s okay. Other things to do and eat onboard!”.
- Traveling tenor says “get to know the staff and crew. Kindness goes a long way”.
Listen to more CruiseTipsTV Unplugged here.
Stay In Touch
Thanks so much for listening! We hope you’ve enjoyed this podcast and we’d love to hear from you! Please feel free to direct message us on Instagram or Facebook with your thoughts, or just check in to see what we are up to on those platforms. We have lots of fun on Instagram, and we have a wonderful welcoming cruising community on Facebook. Be sure to check those out.
Need a travel agent?
Looking for a good travel agent? Contact our travel agency partner, Montebello Dream Vacations & let them know you were referred by CruiseTipsTV when you call. Wendy will match you with the best agent for your needs. Phone number is on the website.
Join the Academy!
Download our shore day bag checklist, and more cruise packing and planning checklists & videos by joining the CruiseTipsTV Academy. We have a special discount code for our podcast listeners. To redeem the $5.00 discount on our Master Class, enter code UNPLUGGED at https://academy.cruisetipstv.com
Here’s what people are saying about the CruiseTipsTV Unplugged Podcast
- Love this podcast - so many tips!November 8, 2023 by Berrmic from United States
I’ve listened to many cruise related podcasts and this is the best by far. So many wonderful tips! I’ve become a carry-on only traveler because of CTTV and love being able to avoid the long walk to retrieve my luggage. I took the cruise line personality quiz on the CTTV website and we absolutely loved our first Holland America cruise. Much better fit than our previous cruises. I am always going back to previous episodes to pick up tips and advice I may have missed. Thank you CTTV!
- Great podcast!October 25, 2023 by Soiffey72 from United States
This is a great and fun podcast with such practical and useful information.
- Best podcast ever!!September 2, 2023 by Orla H. from United States
I started listening to the podcast about a month ago. They are so helpful for anyone who is taking a cruise, first or 50th. I’m going on my second cruise soon and just from listening I booked another! Thanks so much for giving me so many tips for my next cruise.