MSC WORLD AMERICA—MIAMI’S NEXT NEW MEGASHIP—CELEBRATES KEY CONSTRUCTION MILESTONE WITH TRADITIONAL COIN CEREMONY EVENT
- MSC Cruises celebrates MSC World America Coin Ceremony at the Chantiers de l’Atlantique shipyard alongside the Delivery Ceremony of MSC Euribia
- Milestones for two newest ships exemplify MSC Cruises’ continued expansion as world’s third-largest and fastest growing cruise line
- Both ships feature latest environmental enhancements as part of line’s continued commitment to sustainability
Saint Nazaire, France – May 31, 2023 – MSC Cruises, the world’s third-largest and fastest growing cruise line, celebrated a key milestone today in its strategic U.S. expansion and commitment to sustainability with the Coin Ceremony for MSC World America. The event took place alongside the delivery of MSC Euribia at the Chantiers de l’Atlantique shipyard in France and marked a key phase of construction of MSC World America, the brand’s second ship in its innovative World Class and the first ship specifically designed for the U.S. cruise market powered by Liquified Natural Gas (LNG).
The time-honored maritime ceremony saw commemorative coins placed within the keel of MSC World America by two godmothers, MSC Cruises’ Silvia Turbia and Chantiers de l’Atlantique’s Séverine Blandin, as a sign of blessing and good fortune. When she begins sailing from MSC Cruises’ new, state-of-the-art terminal at PortMiami in April 2025, MSC World America will be the brand’s largest ship in North America.
Rubén A. Rodríguez, President, MSC Cruises USA, said: “Our commitment to bringing our largest, most innovative and environmentally advanced ships to the North American market is stronger than ever, and all of us at MSC Cruises are looking forward to welcoming guests on board MSC World America. The ship’s long list of new spaces and experiences will set a new standard for Caribbean cruising when she arrives in the U.S. in 2025. All of MSC World America’s itineraries include Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve, our beautiful island destination that highlights the natural beauty of The Bahamas and our focus on marine conservation. She will join our growing U.S. fleet amid our ongoing homeport expansion, which saw the recent addition of Port Canaveral and New York City with plans for Galveston on the horizon. Together, these initiatives will allow our guests to experience MSC Cruises’ unique international flavor on more ships in more places, and we’re proud to have MSC World America leading the way.”
MSC World America will build on the success of MSC World Europa and become the second World Class ship with key innovations tailored to the North American market, including The Harbor—a brand new outdoor destination that combines a water park, interactive water features, new thrills, and comfortable areas to relax with delicious food and cool beverages for the whole family to enjoy.
Guests will discover a new world of cruising with exciting new restaurants and bars, along with more than 420,000 square feet of public space that combines MSC Cruises’ glamorous European design with American comfort. Sailing exclusively to the Caribbean on 7-night itineraries during her inaugural season—with stops at Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve—MSC World America will further solidify MSC Cruises as an industry leader in the U.S., offering the most modern cruise experience with cutting-edge environmental technology.
Henri Doyer, Chantier de l’Atlantique MSC Program Director, commented: “This 19th ship—the second of the World Class series—is the result of a long partnership between MSC Cruises and Chantiers de l’Atlantique. I am thrilled to announce that MSC World Europa, MSC Euribia, and MSC World America are the 3 most energy efficient, most environment-friendly ships of the cruise industry.”
In addition to commemorating the Coin Ceremony for MSC World America, the cruise line also celebrated the delivery of MSC Euribia, which is “built for the future” and is the most energy-efficient cruise ship design ever. The vessel is the second ship in MSC Cruises’ fleet to be powered by LNG, the cleanest and most efficient fuel currently available commercially at scale. She will feature additional state-of-the-art environmental technologies, including advanced onboard wastewater treatment systems, waste management handling, energy efficiency measures as well innovative underwater radiated noise management systems to reduce the potential impact on the marine environment.
In an industry first, following the Delivery Ceremony, MSC Euribia will complete a net zero greenhouse gas emissions voyage. The ship will sail to Copenhagen, Denmark for the ship’s Naming Ceremony on June 8 utilizing a bio-LNG using a mass-balance system and other efficiency measures to demonstrate that net zero cruising is possible today.
Pierfrancesco Vago, Executive Chairman of the Cruise Division of MSC Group, said: “With the delivery of MSC Euribia, we have taken yet another huge step towards our net zero GHG emissions goal. Alongside her many best-in-class environmental innovations, MSC Euribia features a truly groundbreaking energy efficient design that will deliver huge reduction in GHG emissions throughout her lifetime. Often the focus of decarbonization is solely on supply side measures, and although they are an important part of the energy transition, we must not forget the essential role that energy efficiency will play in reducing energy demand today. The cleanest energy is the energy that we don’t use and MSC Euribia has been constructed with this principle at its heart. This is why she marks with her coming into service such an important milestone toward our goal of achieving net zero CGH marine operations by 2050.”
During her inaugural season, she will offer incredible 7-night itineraries sailing to the Norwegian Fjords with weekly departures from Kiel, Germany and Copenhagen, Denmark.
About MSC World America
MSC World America will create an eye-catching silhouette against the Miami skyline with her signature plumb bow rising vertically from the waterline and Y-shaped aft that opens onto the impressive outdoor World Promenade. The new World Class ship, which is now available to book, will span 22 decks, measure more than 150 feet wide, feature 2,626 cabins, contain more than 420,000 square feet of public space, and offer top-of-the-line features and facilities, including:
- The Harbor—a brand new outdoor destination designed for kids and families to play and relax together
- A re-imagined outdoor World Promenade, where unique dining, lounging and entertainment options are paired with stunning ocean views and unmatched LED light shows
- The indoor World Galleria—lined with bars, restaurants, shops and boutiques—topped with a state-of-the-art LED and kinetic light ceiling
- 13 restaurants including six specialty restaurants, four main restaurants, two buffets and Luna Park Pizza & Burger – a complimentary casual fast-food spot
- 20 bars and lounges, including the Sports Bar, Comedy Club, The Gin Project, Elixir mixology bar and more
- A striking 11-deck-high dry slide made of stainless steel, giving guests a fun way to reach the lower decks in style
- Six pools and 14 hot tubs, including a spacious indoor pool with retractable roof and twin adults-only Zen pools at the aft of the ship
- Expansive water park with water slides that include a VR experience
- Kids Clubs featuring dedicated facilities for age groups ranging from infants to 17 years old
- Three entertainment venues with all-new live entertainment and theater shows
- Stylish and comfortable staterooms and suites, including Infinite Ocean View cabins, balconies that overlook the outdoor World Promenade and connecting family staterooms
- The MSC Yacht Club, featuring spacious suites, a dedicated lounge and restaurant, a private pool and sun deck facilities, luxurious suites, and 24-hour concierge and butler service
For more information about MSC World America click here.
About MSC Euribia
MSC Euribia, the newest ship in the Meraviglia-Pluss class, is named after the ancient goddess Eurybia who harnessed the winds, weather and constellations to master the seas, furthering the vision of the ship to master the deployment of state-of-the-art environmentally responsible technologies to protect and preserve the precious marine ecosystem.
MSC Euribia will offer a dynamic guest experience with innovative features and facilities. Some highlights include:
- 367-foot-long – Mediterranean promenade lined with boutiques bars and restaurants topped with a breathtaking LED sky screen with animations throughout the day and night
- A choice of 21 bars and 10 restaurants, including specialty restaurant options, including brand-new Le Grill, a stylish French bistro meets steakhouse and Kaito Sushi & Robatayaki, a mainstay of MSC Cruises that features a Robatayaki for the first time
- Extensive kids’ facilities including with LEGO® play areas and a Chicco baby club, as well as the new MSC Foundation Lab – a brand-new kids area and program of activities dedicated to educating children and teenagers about topics of sustainability
- A stunning 945-seat theater, offering seven nights of world-class live entertainment, and the entirely redesigned Carousel Lounge at the aft of the ship, with the 19-piece Big Band at Sea
- The MSC Yacht Club, with stylish private facilities and accommodations including a panoramic lounge, gourmet restaurant and private pool and sun deck
- Five swimming pools including an extensive pool with retractable roof and a 10,764-square-foot water park
- The luxurious MSC Aurea Spa with full range of treatments and the state-of-the-art MSC Gym by Technogym®
For more information about MSC Euribia click here.
About the Cruise Division of MSC Group
The Cruise Division of MSC Group, the leading privately held Swiss-based shipping and logistics conglomerate with over 300 years of maritime heritage, is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland, and has two distinct brands within its structure – the contemporary and luxury brands.
MSC Cruises, the contemporary brand, is the world’s third-largest cruise brand as well as the leader in Europe, South America, the Middle East and Southern Africa with more market share in addition to deployed capacity than any other player. It is also the fastest growing global cruise brand with a strong presence in the Caribbean, North America and the Far East markets.
Its fleet comprises 22 modern vessels combined with a sizeable future global investment portfolio of new vessels and is projected to grow to 23 cruise ships by 2025.
MSC Cruises offers its guests an enriching, immersive and safe cruise experience inspired by the Company’s European heritage, where they can enjoy international dining, world-class entertainment, award-winning family programs, and the very latest user-friendly technology on board. To learn more about contemporary brand’s itineraries and experience on board its ships, click here.
The luxury brand, Explora Journeys, is set to start operating in 2023 with a fleet featuring the latest and most advanced environmental and maritime technologies available. The first ship in the fleet will have a gross tonnage of 63,900 and feature 461 of the largest suites at sea, all with ocean front terraces. These ships will introduce a broad range of new guest experiences and other activities to the luxury segment, along with generous public space ratios and a highly innovative design. For further information about Explora Journeys, click here.
MSC has long been committed to environmental stewardship with a long-term goal to achieve net zero emissions for its operations by 2050. The Company is also a significant investor in next-generation environmental marine technologies, with the objective to support their accelerated development and availability industry-wide. To learn more about the Company’s environmental commitment, click here.
Finally, to learn more about the MSC Foundation, MSC Group’s own vehicle to lead, focus and advance its conservation, humanitarian and cultural commitments, click here.
About Chantiers De L’Atlantique
Thanks to the expertise of its teams and its network of subcontractors, combined with top industrial technology, Chantiers de l’Atlantique is a key leader in the design, integration, testing and precise delivery of cruise ships, naval vessels, electrical substations for offshore wind farms and fleet services. The company is a pioneer in the challenges of tomorrow. Thanks to its research and development, Chantiers de l’Atlantique offers ships with the highest environmental performance, as well as equipment for offshore wind farms, making it a major player in global energy transition.
For further information, click here.
See more from MSC Cruises here.
Looking for the latest cruise news?
We constantly scour the press release sites of all major cruise brands, including AIDA, Carnival Cruises, Celebrity Cruises, Costa, Cunard, Disney Cruises, Holland America Cruises, MSC Cruises, Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania, P&O Cruises, Princess Cruises, Royal Caribbean Cruises, Seabourn, Silversea, UnCruise Adventures, Virgin Voyages, Windstar, and more.
We make it easy for you to find out what your favorite cruise line is up to. Just click the Cruise News link at the top of the page for the latest news on all lines, or use the links above to find news about the cruise line of your choice.