MSC CRUISES’ NEW FLAGSHIP MSC SEASHORE’S NAMING CEREMONY TO TAKE PLACE AT OCEAN CAY MSC MARINE RESERVE IN THE BAHAMAS
- MSC Cruises’ Godmother Sophia Loren to name her 16th ship out of the fleet of 19 ships
- Event to also offer opportunity for a formal inauguration of Ocean Cay
- MSC Cruises revealed today that their latest flagship, MSC Seashore will be officially named at Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve in The Bahamas on Nov. 18, making this the first Naming Ceremony for a cruise ship to be held at a private island. The event will be attended by travel advisors and media as well as other key Company stakeholders. Departing Miami on Nov. 17, invitees will be able to get a first look at the new ship – the newest and most innovative vessel to be deployed out of Miami this coming season – before she starts her inaugural 7-night cruise and U.S. season on November 20 and make the most of the endless on board entertainment and activities, as well as an incredible choice of bars and restaurants.
As with every new MSC Cruises ship, Hollywood royalty Sophia Loren will perform the important role of Godmother as she officially names her 16th MSC Cruises ship. The festivities will take place both on board and on the island as the ship will remain docked throughout the night, with a gala dinner, live entertainment and more.
The naming of MSC Seashore will see the formal inauguration of Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve, which opened in late 2019 and closed shortly thereafter due to the pandemic. The island has since gone through further work and significant improvements and this is an opportunity for MSC Cruises to showcase the island to the invitees on this occasion.
President of MSC Cruises USA, Ruben Rodriguez commented: “We are thrilled to have the opportunity to launch our newest ship in Miami and celebrate it’s naming in Ocean Cay, as a further demonstration of our commitment to and investment in the U.S. market.
Not only have we expanded our footprint in Florida by now offering two homeports with PortMiami and Port Canaveral to make our cruises even more accessible, but we’re also elevating the U.S. guest experience by bringing some of our best and most innovative ships for our North American guests. It is also no coincidence that Ocean Cay will be central to our celebrations next month. We can’t wait for more guests to see firsthand what makes the island so special.”
Here are more details about the award-winning destination, Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve, and MSC Cruises’ new flagship MSC Seashore:
OCEAN CAY MSC MARINE RESERVE – AN AWARD-WINNING DESTINATION
Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve opened at the end of 2019 and the former industrial sand extraction site was restored to a pristine island with a flourishing 64-square mile marine reserve. This private island destination exists in harmony with the local ecosystem and is founded on a strong commitment to the restoration of marine resources and the ongoing conservation of existing marine life, including habitats and species present in the area.
This includes the restoration of endangered corals, and the implementation of other conservation and educational programs.
Offering more than two miles of white sandy beaches surrounded by endless sweeping vistas of crystal blue waters, guests can soak up the vibrant spirit of The Bahamas. All MSC Cruises ships out of Miami and Port Canaveral call at Ocean Cay and often remain at the island until late in the evening or overnight, giving guests plenty of time to discover everything that the island has to offer.
During the day there are plenty of ways to make the most of the island – relax on the beach in a private cabana or indulge in a treatment in the spa, try some water sports or other activities as part of the shore excursions program, browse the shops to buy a unique souvenir or spend time in the different bars and food venues around the island with the ultimate ocean backdrop.
As the ships dock directly at the island, guests can easily go back on board at their leisure and come back in the evening to enjoy the nighttime festivities that include a beach party with DJ as well as a traditional junkanoo parade topped off by a stunning light show from the Lighthouse.
MSC Seashore is the first Seaside EVO ship, an evolution and enrichment of the game-changing and pioneering Seaside class designed in the style of Miami beach-front condos. This class of ship is renowned for its innovative and glamourous design features and is intended to connect guests with the sea.
MSC Seashore offers a host of brand-new features, venues and experiences for guests as 65% of the public areas have been reimagined to take the guest experience to a whole new level. The ship offers 140,000 sq. ft. of outdoor space (the most of any ship in the fleet) with a whole host of ways to enjoy the outer decks whether lounging by a pool, sipping on a cocktail in one of the bars or simply sitting on the balcony of the cabin.
- Some of the key highlights include:
- The largest most luxurious MSC Yacht Club – the all-inclusive ‘ship within a ship’ premium concept
- Five specialty restaurants housed in the stylish Chef’s Court on deck 8 with two elegant bars for pre- and post-dinner cocktails plus al fresco dining for The Butcher’s Cut
- A brand-new lounge, Cabaret Rouge, spanning two decks with panoramic views of the sea, offering new entertainment experiences
- Six stunning swimming pools with an enlarged indoor pool, a new interactive waterpark and a spectacular new aft Infinity Pool
- The exclusive Top 19 Solarium with its chic outdoor lounge area and bar for Aurea guests
- A 12,215-square-foot casino with 182 slot machines, 12 tables and the latest gaming technology
- Times Square with an LED wall spanning four decks with a projection of this iconic Manhattan attraction. Dueling pianos bring the area to life, playing popular hits as guests join in the countdown to watch a New Year’s Eve-inspired ball drop spanning a different decade every night
- MSC Seashore is the first cruise ship in the world to feature a new air sanitation system developed by Fincantieri. ‘Safe Air’, uses UV-C lamp technology eliminating 99% of viruses and bacteria to guarantee clean and safe air for guests and crew. 100% fresh air is used on board and there is no recirculation of air.
MSC Seashore will become the third MSC Cruises ship based in the U.S and the Company is offering a range of different length cruises from mini cruises, regular 7 night sailings through to longer cruises of 8-night and 11-nights. New for this season is Port Canaveral where MSC Divina began operating in September.
This new homeport is convenient and easily accessible and is close to popular attractions and major cities like Orlando, Tampa and South Florida for those wishing to make the most out of their holiday either before or after the cruise. When MSC Seashore arrives, MSC Meraviglia will move to Port Canaveral for the rest of the season and MSC Divina will move to PortMiami.
For summer 2022, MSC Seashore will remain in Miami offering cruises for summer 2022, along with MSC Divina out of Port Canaveral.
THE LATEST ENVIRONMENTAL TECHNOLOGY
MSC Seashore features the latest environmental technology including hybrid exhaust gas cleaning systems (EGCS) and cutting-edge selective catalytic reduction systems (SCR), achieving a 98% reduction of sulphur oxide (SOx) emissions and reducing nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions by 90%.
Their wastewater treatment systems have been designed in line with the International Maritime Organization’s MEPC 227(64) Resolution and achieve purification standards that are higher than most wastewater treatment facilities ashore. The new flagship is also equipped with shore-to-ship power connectivity, allowing her to connect to local power grids while at berth at ports where this infrastructure is available.
HEALTH & SAFETY PROTOCOL
Over the last 12 months, MSC Cruises has implemented an industry leading health and safety protocol across the fleet and this continues to protect the wellbeing of the guests, crew and communities that the ships visit. For the cruises from PortMiami and Port Canaveral, all guests 12 years and above need to be fully vaccinated with an approved vaccine.
Residents of the U.S need to provide proof of a negative antigen or RT-PCR test taken within 48 hours of their cruise departure, whilst non-residents of the U.S will need a negative RT-PCR test taken within 72 hours of their cruise departure. All guests aged from 2 to 11 years will need to provide proof of a negative RT-PCR test taken within 72 hours of their cruise departure. For more about MSC Cruises’ health and safety protocol, see here.
 Best Cruise Destination — The Points Guy Editors’ Choice Awards 2020
 Guests must have received a full set of vaccine shots received more than 14 days before the start of the cruise, vaccines accepted: Pfizer, Moderna, Johnson & Johnson – mixed vaccine are not accepted
See more from MSC Cruises here.
Looking for the latest cruise news?
We constantly scour the press release sites of all major cruise brands including: AIDA, Carnival Cruises, Celebrity Cruises, Costa, Cunard, Disney Cruises, Holland America Cruises, MSC Cruises, Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania, P&O Cruises, Princess Cruises, Royal Caribbean Cruises, Seabourn, Silversea, UnCruise Adventures, Virgin Voyages, Windstar, and more.
We make it easy for you to find out what your favorite cruise line is up to. Just click the Cruise News link at the top of the page for the latest news on all lines, or use the links above to find news about the cruise line of your choice.