How to pack for a cruise in 10 easy steps
Today we are talking about packing for your cruise. We are going to break the packing process down into 10 easy steps. You’ll get some structure and ideas on how to keep the stress out of packing for a cruise.
How to pack for a cruise in 9 EASY steps:
- First- make a packing list – check your cruise lines prohibited items list to make sure that nothing you’re packing is forbidden. Categories should include: toiletries & medications, and stateroom essentials. Then, there’s the big one, clothing (swim, fitness, port day, ship day, dinner, formal night, embark/debark, pajamas, undergarments, shoes, hats).
- Decide HOW you want to pack. Light/Carry on only? Anything goes? Check to make sure you have the luggage you need to support that packing style. Borrow or buy what you need.
- Second- shop your list- we’ve created an Amazon store dedicated to cruise travel but you can also check dollar stores for inexpensive toiletry and accessory items. We also love discount stores like TJ Maxx, Ross & Marshalls for buying luggage and places like Target & Walmart for travel-size toiletries.
- Third- lay out your clothes and make sure items match & coordinate and Try on anything you haven’t worn in the last few months to make sure it still fits comfortably.
- Put foldable items into packing cubes and set hanging items aside in a corner of your closet.
- If possible, wait a few days or even a week and review everything you’ve packed. Look at your choices again & ask yourself the following questions: Have you overpacked? Do you love the items you packed? Will you reach for them?
- Pack your suitcase & pack your embarkation day bag. Place heavier items at the bottom of your suitcase to create a better balance.
- Check the weight of your bag if flying.
- Lastly, affix your cruise line luggage tags to your suitcase just before you head to the por
- Remember, you need your passport and boarding documents, and medications. Everything else, in an emergency, could be purchased.
Listen to more CruiseTipsTV Unplugged here.
Stay In Touch
Thanks so much for listening! We hope you’ve enjoyed this podcast and we’d love to hear from you! Please feel free to direct message us on Instagram or Facebook with your thoughts, or just check in to see what we are up to on those platforms. We have lots of fun on Instagram, and we have a wonderful welcoming cruising community on Facebook. Be sure to check those out.
Need a travel agent?
Looking for a good travel agent? Contact our travel agency partner, Montebello Dream Vacations & let them know you were referred by CruiseTipsTV when you call. Wendy will match you with the best agent for your needs. Phone number is on the website.
Join the Academy!
Download our shore day bag checklist, and more cruise packing and planning checklists & videos by joining the CruiseTipsTV Academy. We have a special discount code for our podcast listeners. To redeem the $5.00 discount on our Master Class, enter code UNPLUGGED at https://academy.cruisetipstv.com
Here’s what people are saying about the CruiseTipsTV Unplugged Podcast
- Love this podcast - so many tips!November 8, 2023 by Berrmic from United States
I’ve listened to many cruise related podcasts and this is the best by far. So many wonderful tips! I’ve become a carry-on only traveler because of CTTV and love being able to avoid the long walk to retrieve my luggage. I took the cruise line personality quiz on the CTTV website and we absolutely loved our first Holland America cruise. Much better fit than our previous cruises. I am always going back to previous episodes to pick up tips and advice I may have missed. Thank you CTTV!
- Great podcast!October 25, 2023 by Soiffey72 from United States
This is a great and fun podcast with such practical and useful information.
- Best podcast ever!!September 2, 2023 by Orla H. from United States
I started listening to the podcast about a month ago. They are so helpful for anyone who is taking a cruise, first or 50th. I’m going on my second cruise soon and just from listening I booked another! Thanks so much for giving me so many tips for my next cruise.