How to pack for a cruise in 10 easy steps
Today we are talking about packing for your cruise. We are going to break the packing process down into 10 easy steps. You’ll get some structure and ideas on how to keep the stress out of packing for a cruise.
How to pack for a cruise in 9 EASY steps:
- First- make a packing list – check your cruise lines prohibited items list to make sure that nothing you’re packing is forbidden. Categories should include: toiletries & medications, and stateroom essentials. Then, there’s the big one, clothing (swim, fitness, port day, ship day, dinner, formal night, embark/debark, pajamas, undergarments, shoes, hats).
- Decide HOW you want to pack. Light/Carry on only? Anything goes? Check to make sure you have the luggage you need to support that packing style. Borrow or buy what you need.
- Second- shop your list- we’ve created an Amazon store dedicated to cruise travel but you can also check dollar stores for inexpensive toiletry and accessory items. We also love discount stores like TJ Maxx, Ross & Marshalls for buying luggage and places like Target & Walmart for travel-size toiletries.
- Third- lay out your clothes and make sure items match & coordinate and Try on anything you haven’t worn in the last few months to make sure it still fits comfortably.
- Put foldable items into packing cubes and set hanging items aside in a corner of your closet.
- If possible, wait a few days or even a week and review everything you’ve packed. Look at your choices again & ask yourself the following questions: Have you overpacked? Do you love the items you packed? Will you reach for them?
- Pack your suitcase & pack your embarkation day bag. Place heavier items at the bottom of your suitcase to create a better balance.
- Check the weight of your bag if flying.
- Lastly, affix your cruise line luggage tags to your suitcase just before you head to the por
- Remember, you need your passport and boarding documents, and medications. Everything else, in an emergency, could be purchased.
Listen to more CruiseTipsTV Unplugged here.
Stay In Touch
Thanks so much for listening! We hope you’ve enjoyed this podcast and we’d love to hear from you! Please feel free to direct message us on Instagram or Facebook with your thoughts, or just check in to see what we are up to on those platforms. We have lots of fun on Instagram, and we have a wonderful welcoming cruising community on Facebook. Be sure to check those out.
Need a travel agent?
Looking for a good travel agent? Contact our travel agency partner, Montebello Dream Vacations & let them know you were referred by CruiseTipsTV when you call. Wendy will match you with the best agent for your needs. Phone number is on the website.
Join the Academy!
Download our shore day bag checklist, and more cruise packing and planning checklists & videos by joining the CruiseTipsTV Academy. We have a special discount code for our podcast listeners. To redeem the $5.00 discount on our Master Class, enter code UNPLUGGED at https://academy.cruisetipstv.com
Here’s what people are saying about the CruiseTipsTV Unplugged Podcast
- Informative & DelightfulMarch 28, 2023 by Cruising In Wonderland from United States
I found Cruise Tips Tv on YouTube because of their amazing ship tour of the Carnival Miracle a few years ago. I quickly fell in love with their channel & followed to their podcast & Insta account. They have really been an asset to my cruise planning with so many amazing and thorough tips, tricks & reviews. I always recommend them to anyone going on a cruise, but I like listening and watching their vlogs just for fun or if I miss being on a cruise ship too! They are very professional, but also very personable. I absolutely love their genuine personalities, and the way they value each other speaks to me most. You can tell family & integrity is important and that makes everything they do so enjoyable!
- Made me a cruise expertMarch 22, 2023 by MK OKAYY from United States
I have fallen in love with cruising, and Cruise Tips TV has become a regular part of my life now. Cruising is wonderful, but I do think there is a learning gap for people used to land vacations. My first cruise, I made all the mistakes. Second cruise, overcompensated and made all new mistakes. Then, I found Cruise Tips TV and it improved my cruising experience ten-fold. Now, I always have a cruise booked that I’m looking forward to. I follow Sherri and fam to keep up to date and to keep my excitement alive for my next sail. My partner and I are planning our first Alaska cruise with Princess this May. Truly, I would never have tried an Alaska cruise without Cruise Tips TV’s vlogs, videos, and podcasts about cruising the last frontier. I’m big on knowing what to expect, and they have made me feel very prepared for what I can predict, and ready to embrace surprises I can’t. My partner and I are planning to have a packing date night a couple weeks prior to our cruise. I’ll have packing cubes, the Alaska packing list, and cruise-inspired cocktails handy. And I’ll have the podcast playing in the background of course. Thanks so much for all your work and content.
- Fun and helpful!March 16, 2023 by soccergirl0011 from United States
I just came across this podcast a couple days ago and I am currently binging! I’m planning an Alaska cruise in 2024 so I’m getting all the helpful tips and tricks!